Re: SATB.Ly template and putting lyrics below the staff

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: SATB.Ly template and putting lyrics below the staff
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 05:54:41 -0700

On 2022-03-09 04:51, Trevor wrote:

Hi Colin, you wrote 08/03/2022 00:39:10:

I've just discovered Trevor Daniels' satb.ly system, and huge kudos to him! I've tweaked a bit by adding   \consists Merge_rests_engraver to a Layout variable, but I'm wrestling the lyrics a bit. By default, they come out aligned above context; how can I get them below?
Thanks for the kudos! When I ran a choir I used satb.ly for pretty well all the music we used.

But I don't understand your difficulty - the lyrics are aligned below their staff by default, except when two voices are combined on one staff, see the examples at https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/learning/satb-template .

Could you please post an example showing your problem.

Good morning, Trevor

It's the two voices/one staff case which gives the problem. I don't know if it's a left-pondian thing, but it seems generally to be the case over here, that the lyrics are shown below a combined staff. I think I can get the effect by assigning lyrics to the lower of the two voices. I was nearly through a messy import from Finale when I found your template, so the combined notes were coming in with notes in the upper voice and skips in the lower. That meant lyrics had to be aligned to the upper voice only. I was hoping for a simple switch. but ended up simply adding the missing notes to the lower voices. Now that I know a bit more about it, I think stab.ly will become my tool of choice!

Cheers,

Colin