Grace after break spacing

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Grace after break spacing
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 08:10:09 -0700

Hi all,

I've run into  -- maybe not a defect, but an "ugly" engraving problem
in LilyPond.  If there is a grace note after a break, the last measure
before the break does not leave enough room for the last note.  Here's
a MWE:

%%%
\version "2.23.6"

\relative {
  c''4 c c c
  \break
  \time 3/4 % not necessary, but makes the spacing issue more obvious
  \grace c8
  c2.
}

\layout {
  ragged-right = ##t
}
%%%

In this example, the last c'' in the first measure is too close to the
time signature change.  (The change in time is not necessary to
produce the problem, but it makes it easier to see.)  If you comment
out the grace note you can see the "proper" spacing.

I'll post this to the bug list if it's not already a known issue (I
searched but could not find it).  In the meantime, does anyone know of
a work-around?  I tried changing NoteColumn.X-offset but this just
changed the spacing between the last and second-to-last note and not
the spacing from the end of the measure.

--
Knute Snortum