Re: Mac Monterey 12.3 and Lilypond 2.2.2

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Mac Monterey 12.3 and Lilypond 2.2.2
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 18:12:57 +0100

> On 18 Mar 2022, at 17:23, David Wright <lilylis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
>
> On Fri 18 Mar 2022 at 10:34:08 (+0100), Hans Åberg wrote:
>> On 17 Mar 2022, at 23:39, Hans Aikema wrote:
>
>>> You cannot have both active indeed, but you can install them both (one
>>> active, one inactive). The recipe to end up with stable, but have current
>>> development version at hand for activation:
>>>
>>> sudo port install lilypond-devel
>>> sudo port deactivate lilypond-devel
>>> sudo port install lilypond
>>>
>>> then when you want to try develop:
>>> sudo port deactivate lilypond
>>> sudo port activate lilypond-devel
>>>
>>> and the other way around to switch back to stable:
>>> sudo port deactivate lilypond-devel
>>> sudo port activate lilypond
>>
>> This seems simpler than having a separate MacPorts installation. —To avoid
>> having to write 'sudo' all the time, one can start 'sudo -s'.
>
> It might be safer to use, say, an alias, a shell function, or a script
> for each version, so that you can just type "lpdev" or "lpprod" to switch.
> And if you collect a number of versions, "lp2222", "lp2236", … , maybe?

For fun, here is a script 'lilypond-select'; I haven't tried it. Use it with
'sudo'.

--
#!/bin/bash

# Select MacPorts LilyPond version lilypond or lilypond-devel.

if [ "$1" = "dev" ]
  then
    port deactivate lilypond
    port activate lilypond-devel
elif [ "$1" = "stb" ]
  then
    port deactivate lilypond-devel
    port activate lilypond
else
    echo "lilypond-select  selects MacPorts ."
    echo "Takes one argument, \"dev\" for lilypond-devel, \"stb\" for lilypond."
fi