Re: Should \partial accept music instead of duration?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Should \partial accept music instead of duration?
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 16:40:31 +0200

Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> writes:

> Le 27/03/2022 à 16:23, David Kastrup a écrit :
>> It doesn't share the same music objects for different notes since $(...)
>> makes a ly:music-deep-copy anyway that will deduplicate the elements of
>> SequentialMusic while copying them. The intermediate expression is
>> indeed not fit for every use, but the final deep copy fixes that.
>

> Ah, yes, correct. I always forget about that twist of $ as I
> only use it for more immediate (lexer) evaluation and not for
> copies. Thanks for the reminder.

Well, it makes $xxx and \xxx behave identically.  And \xxx needs to copy
since music functions are allowed to change their arguments.

The meaning of $ was actually introduced after a pretty thorough
redesign where I think the bulk might have happened with

commit fecc5999e224304e9d54e48bc7a92cdbb123cd35
Author: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
Date:   Sun Nov 6 19:15:27 2011 +0100

    Let #{ ... #} pass its $ handling to environment cloning

    Includes convertrules.py rules for dealing with #{ ... #} and for
    removing uses of ly:export

in version 2.15.18.  You don't really want to know (or explain) what
meaning $ had before that change.  Or #{ ... #}.  Or the
interdependency.

--
David Kastrup