Re: Should \partial accept music instead of duration?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Should \partial accept music instead of duration?
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2022 22:23:57 -0400

Hi Jean,

but for me, it's the highest-impact sales tool when I'm Lily-vangelizing. :)
I'm curious, could you say more?

When I show someone that you can install "vanilla" Lilypond, just type something like

%%%%
\version "2.23.4"

randomNotes = {
  $@(let ((notes (ly:music-property #{ <e f g a b c' d' e' f' g' a' b' c'
d'> #} 'elements)))
      (map (lambda (x) (list-ref notes (random (length notes)))) (iota 400)))
}

\new Voice { \randomNotes }
%%%%

and [every time you compile you] get random notes for interval practice, it blows their mind.

Writing

%%%%
\language "english"
\include "init_schenker.ly"

global = {
  \cadenzaOn
  \key g \major
  s8*16
  \bar "|."
}

urlinie = \relative c'' {
  s8*4
  b8*4[-3
  \lesser b8*2
  a8*4-2
  g8]-1
}

\score {
  \new SchenkerGrandStaff <<
    \new SchenkerStaff <<
      \clef treble
      \global
      \new UrlinieVoice { \voiceOne \urlinie }

}
%%%%

and getting the output

also seems very impressive at first… but the moment they see they can't do it with "vanilla" Lilypond (i.e., they need my included LilySchenker file/framework), they’re immediately less impressed.

I don't know how many other people have tried to convert composers/engravers to Lilypond, but every bit of sugar makes the whole platform seem more approachable. As a wise man once said: “Every sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” :)

Hope that makes it clearer?
Kieren.