Re: Feature request: Fix cascading error messages

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Feature request: Fix cascading error messages
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 09:10:38 +0000 (UTC)

> But shouldn't Lilypond check first if the syntax is correct instead
> of spending several seconds/minutes compiling a code that's doomed
> to visually fail?

Sometimes I want to see the output inspite of errors.  Aborting
immediately if there is a syntax problem is definitely not always the
best solution.  I fully agree with other people that it should be
Frescobaldi's job to jump to the first error message (in case it
doesn't do this already).

> In this case, the large project argument doesn't hold.  Other than
> that, it seems we have different thresholds to what it means to have
> usable pdf output.  The "service" of a glitchy PDF that Lilypond
> sometimes provides is of questionable value.

Simply check LilyPond's return value.  If it is non-zero you know
there is a problem.  On the other hand, having visual output in case
of errors sometimes help identify where and what the problem is.

TeX behaves quite similarly; IDEs for TeX also have the ability to
jump to errors.

    Werner