Re: Feature request: Fix cascading error messages

From: Martín Rincón Botero
Subject: Re: Feature request: Fix cascading error messages
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:51:42 +0200

Since TeX is predominantly employed for compiling LaTeX sources, that
speaks more about the LaTeX implementation than TeX itself.

Because I'm under the impression that Lilypond is more similar to LaTeX than to TeX, I thought Mr. Lemberg was referring to TeX in the context of LaTeX (through which is how I also interact with TeX).

www.martinrinconbotero.com

On Mar 29, 2022 at 12:32 PM, <David Kastrup> wrote:

Martín Rincón Botero <martinrinconbotero@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm lucky to be able to work using Lilypond through Python. I never
> compile the whole score I'm working on, but only the current "segment"
> (around 2 pages) and the corresponding pages get updated in the
> PDF. Compiling the whole thing is something I do only at the end of a
> project because it's so slow (I believe TeX suffers from similar
> problems, so mentioning TeX doesn't really improve the situation).

TeX was written to make efficient use of computers with a power that
would be considered absolutely ridiculously impaired by today's
standards, so it tends to be amazingly blazingly fast.

Any differing impression most likely due is to abusing TeX as a Turing
machine for solving more or less generic programming purposes rather
than as a typesetting engine with a basic macro layer.

Since TeX is predominantly employed for compiling LaTeX sources, that
speaks more about the LaTeX implementation than TeX itself.

To wit: in ancient times, using \tracingall for looking at how a
document got compiled tended to deliver useful information; nowadays it
just puts out indecipherable riffraff, like using gdb for tracing the
progress of a Scheme interpreter does.

A Texinfo rather than LaTeX compilation is probably more in line with
the expected performance (at least for input not transcending the ASCII
input plane of Unicode) but no promises: the old adage "any improvements
in hardware performance will get eaten up by more waste in programming"
is a universal phenomenon.

--
David Kastrup