Re: bug in magnetic snapping lyrics engraver

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: bug in magnetic snapping lyrics engraver
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 23:38:44 +0200

Le 14/04/2022 à 18:18, Werner LEMBERG a écrit :
How did you do that?  Sorry to rain on your parade, but I would not
want you to put a lot of work in it if it will not be of mergeable
quality.
Attached.  In the end the necessary modifications were surprisingly
minor.  Please comment, there is certainly room for improvements.

Thanks. This is a bit what I feared: in this state, there is
potential for things going wrong with other after-line-breaking
callbacks. Those are the kind of thing that can be buggy in obscure
circumstances. I'm a little nervous on having my "off-the-top" /
"first thing that seemed to work" solution in the code base :-)

OTOH, it's *probably* not too difficult to refactor this to use
a separate 'original-text property and a 'text property computed
by a callback, with X-offset computed only after-line-breaking,
X-extent left empty and springs-and-rods doing the magic that
would otherwise be done by Separation_item::set_distance, at the
condition of letting Grob::extent skip the X-offset calculation
in case the extent is found to be empty (which could be a good
idea regardless actually). Or something like that. Too bad that
we don't have pure widths (we could if I finally managed to finish
a big patch that has been pending for about a year), but it should
be possible to do without I think. I think. But right now, I'm a
bit swamped due to a somewhat important exam next Thursday.

[Alex; glad to meet you BTW]
My literally last exposure to Lilypond was meeting you folks in Jan 2020 in
Salzburg,

Well, not me ;-) (I knew little about LilyPond at that time
and had not started to contribute.)

and I'll need to dig out my old tests, but I'll give it a shot; having this
integrated would be such an amazing improvement.

If you guys are ready to clean up this thing, that would be a relief
for me given the amount of other contributions that I am trying to
get around to. I know I was a bit elliptic above (too tired ATM),
but I am happy to provide guidance and discuss solutions.

Jean