Re: LilyPond 2.23.8 released

From: Freeman Gilmore
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.23.8 released
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 11:18:41 -0400

What I saw was confusing  to me and should have been clear to me from  my background.  That is my fault.     I was thinking "binaries'', now i have to compile, I do not want to do that;   It is worded correctly.    True it would be better to make it simpler to understand for someone that has on knowledge of programming.   Something like what Carl did but using the word program instead of binary. .Too many words can have the same effect of confusion.
Thank you, ƒg.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 10:44 AM David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
Freeman Gilmore <freeman.gilmore@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 10:03 AM Carl Sorensen <carl.d.sorensen@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> LilyPond does *not* have one binary for all.  It has one source code for
>> all.
>>
> That helps
>

>> I think that there can be a bit of confusion here due to the fact that two
>> elements in the list aren't binaries.  There are three binaries: GNU/Linux
>> x86_64, macOS x86_64, and Windows x86_64.  Then there are two other
>> links: Source code and instructions for building with MacPorts.  Perhaps we
>> could separate the binaries from the other links.  That's what we do on the
>> stable download page.
>>

> So I was wrong from the start.  I was looking for the program for
> windows, Windows x86_64,. not realising that the program I was looking
> for was a binary which is compiled from the source code.  Sorry this
> is all stuff from the past at one time i understood, just confused.

If it's all stuff from the past at one time you understood, there are
likely enough people around for whom this is all stuff from the future
they are yet to understand and it would seem like a bad idea to turn
this into a roadblock for using LilyPond for them.

So you certainly did highlight that we may be relying on an
overabundance of technobabble fluency on our download pages.

There might be a point in trying to sort and rephrase our points of
first contact pages in a manner where installing LilyPond is not going
to be an uphill battle already because of language problems.

--
David Kastrup