Re: /etc shortcut

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: /etc shortcut
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 22:25:29 +0200

Le 01/05/2022 à 22:09, Stephan Schöll a écrit :
Why wouldn't you leave the english documentation where no translation is
available? What's worse: a) A documentation system which does some magic
i8n with instransparently outdated content or b) a consistent, complete
documentation obviously lacking the beauty of 100% translation coverage?

Because there is no infrastructure at all for translation. It's
just an original English file that gets updated, and translators
updating a translated file accordingly. There is no magic, really.
When there is no translator, the content just doesn't get updated.

Of course, in hindsight, it would be much better if we did translation
via PO files to have it synced with the original automatically,
displaying English text in case the translation is outdated. But,
apart from the technicalities, converting everything is a huge
undertaking ...

BTW: Deepl.com e.g. produces a perfect german translation for the
read-the-docs section. So why spend time on manual translation in times
of quite good translation engines. Even if quality might be lower than
100%, it's still better than holes in the docs, isn'it? ;-)

My hypothesis - based on my current experience: Case b) would relieve
the mailing list.

At this point I think this would be better discussed on the
lilypond-devel list.

And yes, I've already thought about volunteering in doc translation a
few years ago, but the technical setup is (was at the time being resp.)
so nerdy and complex that I resigned from that idea :-(

It does take a bit of setup, but the devel list is usually very
responsive and welcomes setup questions from newbies and advanced
developers alike.

Best,
Jean