Automated crossed syllable binding notes?

From: Tjeerd J. Pinkert
Subject: Automated crossed syllable binding notes?
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 22:56:03 +0200

Dear users,

I'm trying to set some music in petrucci style. What I find often in the original scores are crosses that tie together two syllables of the song text, but that should have no note length in the score. A screenshot is attached as .png file.

I came up with the code below that works both in the score and in the generated midi file, where the crossed notehead should take about half the note length (when it is not the same pitch). At least, I'm happy with that even when the pitches of note and crossed note are equal.

Since this construction comes in larger multitudes in the scores I would like to automate it. E.g. by typing something like: d1\melisma c\melismaEndWordTie

This should than automatically add the *1/2, the override and the correct length to the crossed notehead. The crossed notehead in the original scores is independent from the length of the note in front of it.

How can that be best done?

---
\version "2.22.0"

theStaff = \new PetrucciStaff <<
    \clef "petrucci-c2"
    \new PetrucciVoice = "contra" {
        \key f \major
        \time 2/2
        \cadenzaOn
\relative g'{ d2 d1*1/2\melisma \once \override NoteHead.style = #'cross c1*1/2\melismaEnd bes1 }
    }
    \new Lyrics = stanzaOne \lyricsto contra {ſe ſont les}

\score{
    \theStaff
    \layout{
        indent = 0\cm
        \context {
            \PetrucciStaff
            \override Clef.break-visibility = ##(#f #f #t)
            \override TimeSignature.style = #'mensural
            \override NoteHead.ligature-flexa = ##f
\score {
    \theStaff
    \midi {
        \tempo 2 = 120
---

Best regards,

Tjeerd Pinkert

P.S. Would this be a useful addition to LilyPonds standard features?
P.P.S. Original scores: https://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b525015926