Re: phrase marks ending on tied notes: first vs last?

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: phrase marks ending on tied notes: first vs last?
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 10:13:57 +0200

Hello Jeff,

as far as I know it is generally accepted to end a slur on the second tied
note. There are and have been strong voices against ending a slur on the first
tied note, but then again there are many examples of it happening (e.g.
Beethoven likes to do this a lot).

In some cases ending a slur on the first note of a tie can avoid awkward slur
configurations and save space, especially if you’ve got many slurs (but this
usually matters more for regular legato slurs). So in the end it is matter of
a) house style and b) what looks good. But generally ending on the second tied
note should be a reasonable and generally accepted default unless by some
complicated configuration it takes too much space.

Of course one might make a point that a phrasing slur should encompass all the
notes it spans, since it is used to group a whole phrase, which would rather
speak for second tied note. Your first example is so short that I do not
perceive this a phrasing slur, I’d interpret that as a regular legato slur. If
you make the first example longer to turn it into something more phraselike as
in the appended file you’ll see that the first tied note approach looks really
weird in such cases.

Cheers,
Valentin