Re: Guile REPL Server

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Guile REPL Server
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 09:50:25 +0200

On Thu, 2022-05-19 at 09:39 +0200, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> Le 19/05/2022 à 09:28, Jonas Hahnfeld via LilyPond user discussion a écrit :
> > As you can see, the REPL itself works just fine. What does not work is
> > the REPL server because we disable all networking functionality in our
> > Guile build. Here I'm even more hesitant to change direction because
> > everything interfacing with network is security-sensitive...
>
> I am not understanding this concern given that we already give
> full control on the file system and the ability to run external
> commands ... ?

Which is all local and / or can be confined. If the official binaries
allow opening arbitrary server ports and exposing REPLs, this opens the
door for "shellcode" attacks. I don't want to see this happen by
abusing LilyPond.

> If it's about the -dsafe mode, we can talk about that privately.

I don't see what should be talked about privately. If there is
something to discuss, do it on the mailing list.