Re: system-system-spacing in \layout block

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: system-system-spacing in \layout block
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 22:14:13 +0200

Le 21/05/2022 à 21:44, Knute Snortum a écrit :
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out if I can change system-system-spacing by
score, that is, in the \layout block.  I have a collection of scores
(preludes) where the global \paper settings work fine for some, but I
have a score that needs its own system-system-spacing values.  My
question is very similar to this post [1] but as far as I can see, it
was not replied to.

Simple answer: no. Currently, this is not possible.

More precisely: from experimentation with the snippet you cite,
I conclude these settings are being reflected in the page breaking
calculations, but not in page spacing calculations. Try
changing the value in this code:

\version "2.23.9"

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff { c'1 \break c'1 }
    \new Staff { c'1 c'1 }

  \layout {
    % replace with 130 to see second system move to the second page
    system-system-spacing.padding = 125

Basically, the padding value does let LilyPond put fewer
systems on the page (when it tries to compute how many
it can cram on each page), but when actually spacing the
systems, it gets lost.

Depending on the particular context, there are a couple
workarounds possible. For example, if the score is on
a page on its own, you could put it in its own \bookpart
and use \paper in \bookpart. If you need to increase the
spacing, you could also use this sort of trick:

\version "2.23.9"

enlarge = \tweak vertical-skylines #(ly:make-unpure-pure-container
ly:grob::simple-vertical-skylines-from-extents)
          \tweak Y-extent \etc

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff { c'1 \break c'1 }
    \new Staff {
      \enlarge #'(-20 . 0) c'1
      c'1

There is a vast array of other options available; I suggest to give
more information on your score if none of these two solutions
is sufficient for you.

Best,
Jean