system-system-spacing in \layout block

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: system-system-spacing in \layout block
Date: Sat, 21 May 2022 12:44:51 -0700

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out if I can change system-system-spacing by
score, that is, in the \layout block.  I have a collection of scores
(preludes) where the global \paper settings work fine for some, but I
have a score that needs its own system-system-spacing values.  My
question is very similar to this post [1] but as far as I can see, it
was not replied to.

There is a snippet [2] that suggests that you can put
system-system-spacing values in a \layout block, but I haven't been
able to get this to work.  Can you do this, or is there another way to
deal with this?

Here is my MWE:

%%%
\version "2.23.9"

\paper {
  % This works
  % system-system-spacing.padding = 30
}

\score {
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff { \repeat unfold 16 c'4 \break \repeat unfold 16 c'4 }
    \new Staff { \clef bass \repeat unfold 16 c4 \break \repeat unfold 16 c4 }

  \layout {
    % Doesn't work, although it's written in this snippet:
    %
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/snippets-big-page.html#chords-chord-names-alternative
    system-system-spacing.padding = 30
%%%