Re: UTF-8 characters in filenames with Lilypond 2.23

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: UTF-8 characters in filenames with Lilypond 2.23
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 17:13:37 +0200

Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65@gmail.com> writes:

> Am So., 22. Mai 2022 um 07:36 Uhr schrieb David F. <davidf@gmx.us>:

>> > This is actually not an issue with LilyPond, but with Frescobaldi,
>> > when you have "run LilyPond with English messages" enabled in the
>> > Preferences. This problem is known for some time already, but
>> > I didn't see an issue in the Frescobaldi tracker, so I just
>> > opened one:
>> >
>> > https://github.com/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/issues/1438
>> >
>> > The workaround is to uncheck "Run LilyPond with English messages"
>> > in Edit > Preferences > LilyPond Preferences.
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Jean
>> >

>> No, I get the same error running lilypond from the command line:
>>
>> $ lilypond --png tést.ly
>> GNU LilyPond 2.23.9 (running Guile 2.2)
>> warning: cannot find file: `t??st.ly'
>> fatal error: failed files: "t??st.ly”
>>
>> David F.
>>

> Being on Ubuntu 20.04.4 all works fine with 2.23.9 and current master.

"Being on Ubuntu" tells a much less relevant story as

locale

does.  My own is comparatively weird with

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=POSIX
LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_NAME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

and has few localisation problems.  Other settings, however, may exhibit
more problems under some circumstances.  Particularly non-US settings of
LC_NUMERIC can mess up number formatting (like when generating
PostScript) and localised settings of LC_CTYPE are what tends to mess
with file name recognition and other console communication.

--
David Kastrup