Re: UTF-8 characters in filenames with Lilypond 2.23

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: UTF-8 characters in filenames with Lilypond 2.23
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 19:21:43 +0200

On Sat, 2022-05-21 at 15:20 -0600, David F. wrote:
> System: Intel-based macOS
>
> I make extensive use of UTF-8 characters in the filenames of my Lilypond
> files.  This works in Lilypond up through version 2.22.  But Lilypond 2.23
> cannot handle UTF-8 characters in filenames.
>
> Filename: tést.ly
> ====
> \version "2.22"
>
> { c' }
> ====
>
> Under v2.22, this file complies without problem.  With 2.23 (including the
> just release 2.23.9) I get the following error:
>
> Starting lilypond 2.23.9 [tést.ly]...
> warning: cannot find file: `/Users/david/Projects/Lily Scratch/te??st.ly'
> fatal error: failed files: "/Users/david/Projects/Lily Scratch/te??st.ly"
> Exited with return code 1.
>
> I thought that this problem had already been reported, but I can’t find any
> mention of it now.  So I’m reporting it.
>
> David F.

Hi David,

I can indeed reproduce this on macOS, which I think is the critical
piece of information here. It would just be too boring if all operating
systems agreed on how to handle filenames with special characters... In
this case, it might also have to do with the file system because if I
do 'ls', I also get question marks (but this might also be because I'm
ssh-ing from Linux...)

Jonas