Re: Problems with Frescobaldi and LilyPond

From: John Wheeler
Subject: Re: Problems with Frescobaldi and LilyPond
Date: Sun, 22 May 2022 22:12:20 -0500

On 5/22/22 21:27, Ralph Palmer wrote:

I have installed Frescobaldi 3.2 and LilyPond 2.23.9. Frescobaldi seems to load correctly, and I can view a saved LilyPond file. However, when I try to compile, I get the following message :

%%%%%%%%%%
Starting lilypond 2.23.6 [banishMisfortune.ly] . . .
/home/ralph/bin/lilypond: 4: exec: /home/ralph/lilypond/usr/bin/lilypond: not found
Exited with return code 127.

When I run "lilypond" from the terminal, I get the same message (see the attached screen shot). I think I used to make adjustments to PATH:, but I can't even find PATH.

Should I try a complete uninstall of LilyPond and Frescobaldi and start from scratch?

First, try finding the lilypond program in the directory tree. If you installed it by 'tar xzf lilypond-2.23.9-....tar.gz' in your home directory, look for lilypond at /home/ralph/ilypond-2.23.9/bin/lilypond.

Normally, PATH is set either system wide or in a .bashrc file in your home directory. If you do not use bash for your command shell check your shell documentation for a startup or initialization file.  If the .bashrc does not set PATH you can add it there to override or augment the system set PATH.

Considering you are getting the same error both in Frescobaldi and on the command line, the Frescobaldi setup is probably not the problem.  There is a setting, though, that can direct Frescobaldi to use specific LilyPond installations. It is found under Edit>Preferences>LilyPond Preferences in the LilyPond versions to use box.

Hope this helps,

John