Re: Any LyX users? Missing prerequisites: lilypond-book->latex

From: Damian leGassick
Subject: Re: Any LyX users? Missing prerequisites: lilypond-book->latex
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 15:02:35 +0100

fwiw I was never able to get Lyx’s native Lilypond mode working reliably. The
manual was, and remains completely unhelpful.

That said, it is a good environment for embedding multiple Lilypond generated
pdf/eps in a structured text document, because any changes in those pdf/eps
files are picked up automatically without having to reimport them (cf MS Word)
or even refresh Lyx - they just change.

I’ve typeset a long complex analytical doctoral thesis and several
harmony/analysis workbooks like this and it works really well.

be aware that multi-page lilypond scores need to be imported into Lyx one page
at a time - it will not ‘flow’ a score between multiple boxes.

My sense is also that for smaller documents, learning Lyx is actually more work
than just learning lilypond-book as tweaks outside of what Lyx provides (and
there could be many) require you to know your way around normal ()TeX.