Reducing spacing round clef between notes

From: Paul Hodges
Subject: Reducing spacing round clef between notes
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 09:20:16 +0100

I have a clef change in the middle of a group of semiquavers, and the amount of space round it is distorting the spacing of the notes in the group more than is acceptable.

\version "2.23.3"
\new PianoStaff <<
  \new Staff { \clef bass c16 g \clef treble c' g' }
  \new Staff { \clef bass c16 g c g }

As you'd expect, the inserted clef leaves the spacing of notes on other staves very uneven - the effect is actually worse in my big score than in this trivial example, because there are other staves affected, and there are chords and accidentals involved.  The music leaves no option to place the clef in any other position.  However, there is enough visual space on both sides of the clef to allow for a significant reduction, which my editor is demanding - but I have so far been unable to find the incantation which will do this.  Any hints?

Thanks,
Paul