Re: What is the meaning of a mordent on top of a sharp sign?

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: What is the meaning of a mordent on top of a sharp sign?
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 13:56:02 +1000

Are you referring to BWV 933-938  6 Kleine Praludien? If so, I see no such passage in any of the preludes.

What source are you engraving from?

I am a harpsichordist so I can fairly confidently say this is not a rare notation and all it would mean is that the mordent is to the F sharp not F natural.

Prelude 6 is full of these. The first edition - only published in 1802 - is full of these, but with the sharp on top of the mordent, which is the same.

From Wikipedia:

"In music, a mordent is an ornament indicating that the note is to be played with a single rapid alternation with the note above or below. Like trills, they can be chromatically modified by a small flat, sharp or natural accidental."

Andrew