Re: Looking for the proper term to search for... like a... prelude? mayb

From: TamuraJun
Subject: Re: Looking for the proper term to search for... like a... prelude? maybe?
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 22:49:46 +0900

Hi!

Maybe http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.22/Documentation/notation/modifying-single-staves.html#hiding-staves

2022/07/05 22:38、Kevin Cole <dc.loco@gmail.com>のメール:

With my very limited knowledge of music theory, I don't know what term(s) to search for.

I have a piece of music that starts with eight measures of piano, before the vocal part comes in. So, it only shows the treble and bass clef staves for eight measures, and then adds another staff when the vocals start.

I'm guessing that once I know what it's called I can read up on it in the documentation and / or find a good example of how to code that in LilyPond.

(I thought perhaps I could "cheat" and use something like lots of "s1" followed by a "\break" and it might hide that portion of the vocals because nothing's happening, but it didn't work and I suspect that's not the right way to think about it anyway.)

Thanks.