Re: Looking for the proper term to search for... like a... prelude? mayb

From: Kevin Cole
Subject: Re: Looking for the proper term to search for... like a... prelude? maybe?
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 14:22:36 -0400

On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 10:07 PM Andrew Bernard <andrew.bernard@mailbox.org> wrote:
Hi Kevin,

For an eight bar intro you would normally leave the vocal line staff and
use full bar rests. This actually makes it easier for the vocalist, and
if you were making parts you would have to do this anyway. I would not
try to hide the intro staff in this case.

I'm merely transcribing what I see on paper as accurately as I can. Since it didn't show any vocal line until the ninth measure (immediately after a break) it seemed like the "right" thing to do.

\new Staff \with {
      \RemoveAllEmptyStaves
}

did  the trick (along with the afore-mentioned "\bar" and "\break' at the end of the "short" measure at the end of the piano "solo" introduction and before the partial measure where the voice starts.

Frenched usually refers to omitting whole empty systems and is used to
make symphonic scores more compact. Just omitting a staff for a few bars
is not generally thought of as Frenching, technically speaking.

Someone else brought up "French". I'd never heard of it til it was mentioned in a response but it's good to know the terms, even if I'm not doing symphonic stuff, just simple folk melodies and occasionally acoustic rock.