Re: Change to \rest markup in 2.23

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Change to \rest markup in 2.23
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 13:25:40 +0200

Le 20/07/2022 à 05:57, David F. a écrit :
In 2.23, the rest markup command changed from taking a string to taking a
duration.

\version "2.22"
\markup \rest #"4.."

\version "2.23"
\markup \rest { 4.. }

It would be nice if this change were backward compatible, at least for a
version or two.

LilyPond's general policy is that backwards-incompatible syntax
changes are OK as long as a convert-ly rule is provided to update
input files automatically.

Well, in this case there is no convert-ly rule ... I'll fix that soon.

My primary Lilypond environment is v2.22.2-1 on macOS 10.14.  This is the
environment I use for final “production” of scores.  But I’ve been trying to do
as much development as possible in v2.23 on macOS 10.15.

Unfortunately, the change to the rest markup command makes going back and forth
quite cumbersome.  Would be be possible to make this command take either a
string or duration?

My answer will be a bit different from Harm's: this sounds like
an XY problem to me. Why do you want to switch back and forth
between two LilyPond versions for the same score? Just install
the same version on both machines. There is no problem with having
several different versions of LilyPond installed in parallel on
the same machine, and in Frescobaldi, you can even choose to
select the LilyPond version from the \version statement (the
setting is in Edit > Preferences > LilyPond Preferences),
making this very convenient.