Re: Change to \rest markup in 2.23

From: David F.
Subject: Re: Change to \rest markup in 2.23
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 17:03:33 -0600

> On Jul 20, 2022, at 5:25 AM, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
>
> Le 20/07/2022 à 05:57, David F. a écrit :
>> In 2.23, the rest markup command changed from taking a string to taking a
>> duration.
>>
>> \version "2.22"
>> \markup \rest #"4.."
>>
>> \version "2.23"
>> \markup \rest { 4.. }
>>
>> It would be nice if this change were backward compatible, at least for a
>> version or two.
>

> LilyPond's general policy is that backwards-incompatible syntax
> changes are OK as long as a convert-ly rule is provided to update
> input files automatically.
>
> Well, in this case there is no convert-ly rule ... I'll fix that soon.
>

>> My primary Lilypond environment is v2.22.2-1 on macOS 10.14.  This is the
>> environment I use for final “production” of scores.  But I’ve been trying to
>> do as much development as possible in v2.23 on macOS 10.15.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the change to the rest markup command makes going back and
>> forth quite cumbersome.  Would be be possible to make this command take
>> either a string or duration?
>

> My answer will be a bit different from Harm's: this sounds like
> an XY problem to me. Why do you want to switch back and forth
> between two LilyPond versions for the same score? Just install
> the same version on both machines. There is no problem with having
> several different versions of LilyPond installed in parallel on
> the same machine, and in Frescobaldi, you can even choose to
> select the LilyPond version from the \version statement (the
> setting is in Edit > Preferences > LilyPond Preferences),
> making this very convenient.

Installing multiple versions of Lilypond isn’t a big deal, per se.  I have 2.22
and 2.23.10 installed on the macOS 10.14 machine.  I don’t think there is a
standalone install of v2.22 available for macOS 10.15 and greater, so I think
I’d have to install MacPorts on the macOS 10.15 machine in order to get
Lilypond 2.22.  But we can call that a simple annoyance.

The issue, for me, is that I’m trying to be conservative in upgrading to newer
Lilypond versions.  I have around 100 hymns that get turned into just over 4000
individual slides.  I can’t realistically inspect each slide after a version
upgrade, so I’ve been sticking to the Lilypond stable releases for “production”
generation of my slides.

But, as I said above, I try to do as much development as possible on the latest
“unstable” version so as to catch problems as soon as possible.  When I first
moved to version 2.23, I found, for example, that there was an issue with
handling file paths that contained Unicode characters.  Once I brought the
issue to the list, Jonas Hahnfeld was able to provide a fix with 2.23.10.

If Lilypond’s policy is as you say, then I might have to reconsider my approach
to upgrades.  But, likely as not, I’ll just carry on trying to stick with
stable releases.  I started out on version 2.18 and haven’t really had too much
trouble switching back and forth between stable and unstable releases.

David F.