Re: Last note of a first alternative is a tie to the first note in the r

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Last note of a first alternative is a tie to the first note in the repeat; how to engrave this?
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 17:13:16 +0200

Simon Albrecht <simon.albrecht@mail.de> writes:

> On 28/07/2022 16:25, David Kastrup wrote:
>> There is also \startTrillSpan/\stopTrillSpan, \startGroup/\stopGroup,
>> \startGraceSlur/\stopGraceSlur, \startTextSpan/\stopTextSpan,
>> \startMeasureCount/\stopMeasureCount,
>> \startMeasureSpanner/\stopMeasureSpanner .  On the opposite side, there
>> is \endSpanners.
>>
>> All of these strictly imply the beginning/end of typesetting, but then
>> the problem of halfties is that the usual connection of beginning/end of
>> typesetting with the flow of time is not there.

> Exactly, I think this would be very misleading.

I don't see why.  They are halfties.  When there is a discontinuity
between timeflow and typesetting direction, you have to pick one of them
to describe the direction of the tie.  As I wrote, left/right don't work
well on their own, so I picked the timeflow-based one.  Start and stop
of a full tie are quite unambigous referral points.  Note also that I
did not suggest \startHalfTie since indeed a half tie does not "start".

The one problem I see is that this naming might get into conflict with
some possible future interface to cross-voice ties.

But even then one could stipulate that actual cross-voice ties specified
in that manner need a non-empty spanner-id .

>> I was thinking of \leftTie/\rightTie instead, but then is the tie
>> pointing to the left, or is it supposed to be at the left end of a
>> repeat section?  I thought start/stop would be less ambiguous even if
>> somewhat uglier.
>
> I find it difficult to come up with something succinct—
> \halfTieToTheLeft and \halfTieToTheRight would be clear, but way too
> cumbersome. Actually, I think \halfTieLeft and \halfTieRight would
> work just fine. There’s potential for confusion, but not if it’s clear
> that the direction is from the note head. Does that make sense?

Is it clear "that the direction is from the note head"?

--
David Kastrup