Re: very simple off-topic question regarding command line viewing of pos

From: Kenneth Wolcott
Subject: Re: very simple off-topic question regarding command line viewing of postscript files on macOS
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 16:09:43 -0700

Thank you all for your responses.

I'm not at all offended by the XY type of response.

I'll try to elaborate without TMI...

  I use Preview with maximum width for my external monitor and minimum
height, to display what I am engraving from, and then scroll it down
line by line.

  I then have a terminal window (multi-tabbed) immediately beneath it
to the right, all the way to the bottom.

  I use command line emacs (not GUI or Windows style) in the terminal
window to edit Lilypond source.

  I then use control-Z to suspend the emacs session, and run my script
(written in Perl) which calls Lilypond and then displays the resultant
pdf using Reader (another pdf app distinct from Preview).

  I specify Reader to display the pdf because if I don't the pdf will
be displayed by Preview in a tab which is totally useless to view an
entire page of output when it is in the same size as my origin pdf.

  I have not seen an effective way to prevent the tabbed Preview.  It
looks like some developer decided that multiple files must be
displayed as a tab for efficiency rather than having two instances of
the app.  Breaks my desired workflow :-(

  Now, I want to make changes (or add new content)...the existing
Reader app instance will not update automatically and will not update
manually; I have to exit it and re-execute (my script will execute it,
but is unable to exit it, so I have to exit manually).

  If my script could kill the existing Reader app instance and start
another one, that would be great, but pstree/pkill (Apple built-in
process view and kill commands) apparently have no effect on either
Preview or Reader (or any app for that matter).

  So there's lots of keystrokes (or mouse clicks) that interfere with
the visual process and the hand-and-eye coordination is disrupted.
This is extremely annoying.

  It would be nice if I could do almost everything inside emacs.  Even
if that's not possible, removing some of these extra moving parts
might help with the workflow.  I'd like to have the script have more
control over the environment.  My script is a very simple wrapper
around Lilypond, not near as powerful or sophisticated as a makefile,
but similar.

  I use git (no branching) to back up my work and an external hard drive.

  I was hoping to use postscript instead of pdf during the development
process as I might have more control over the app and therefore the
workflow and therefore be more productive and less frustrated.

  This process was so much easier when using Solaris on a Sun pizza
box (30+ years ago).  It worked great on Linux (less than 30 years
ago).  Perhaps the Mac is just too much "locked hood" (can't fiddle
with the engine) and that frustrates this old retired geezer.  I hated
Windows for this same reason; no user control over my environment.  I
guess that's way I like emacs, Perl, Linux, UNIX...

  Anyway...I was trying to simplify my workflow...

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott