Re: very simple off-topic question regarding command line viewing of pos

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: very simple off-topic question regarding command line viewing of postscript files on macOS
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2022 04:39:02 -0700

On 2022-08-03 3:07 am, Lukas-Fabian Moser wrote:
Since we're both not English native speakers, there may be a problem
of missing the appropriate tonality involved. I'm positive that Jean
didn't mean to say "that's not a good question, go away" any more than
I did. Was this what our responses sounded like for a native speaker?

As a native English speaker, I can allay your concerns. The original wording was reasonably clear to me. Granted, if someone is unfamiliar with the term XY in this context, that might be a stumbling block. However, the follow-up question importantly sought out the missing information.

The only advice I could give is to try to lead with the actionable item first. That is, ask for clarification and then qualify that such information would help resolve a possible XY problem. This aligns with the tl;dr principle in online discourse. Our attention spans often become quite short when we are struggling to meet a tight deadline.

-- Aaron Hill