Re: completely filling a page, but not too compact, how?

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: completely filling a page, but not too compact, how?
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 09:32:45 +0200

Hi Ken,

So I disabled all the forced line breaks.

Now it consumes less than 3/4 of one page and is a little too dense to
read on an iPad.

I'd like to fill the first and only page.

How to do this?

For filling the page, you can do

\paper {
  ragged-last-bottom = ##f
}

In your case, this spreads the systems too far apart on the page, so I increased the total amount of systems via

\layout {
  system-count = 7
}

where 7 was found by trial and error. This way, the bars are made wider, but I think they still look acceptable.

I took the liberty of making some other small adjustments; feel free to ignore them if you do not like them (especially since I realise that my changes are very much influenced by middle-European classical music notation conventions):

- added \accidentalStyle modern for warning accidentals
- changed the left hand rest in the beginning of the piece (r2. do not usually start at crotchet-valued position in a bar) - bar 4/35a: in "classical" enharmonic spelling, this is usually written as f-sharp, not as g-flat (that's an instance where the usual rule of thumb "use flats when moving downwards" oversimplifies things) - markup-system-spacing.padding = 3 to add some space between the title and the first system
- added final bar line
- paranoid warning accidentals ('!') in mm. 10 and 29

What I didn't change: Classical convention would probably give the final bar a length of only 4 (with fermata), not 1. But I wouldn't put too much stock in this, I know that a crotchet final chord would probably look strange, and there are plenty of counterexamples to that convention.

Lukas