Re: Pointing Aiken Fa up in partCombine

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Pointing Aiken Fa up in partCombine
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 09:27:22 -0500

On 8/18/2022 11:43 PM, David F. wrote:
Now I’m wondering how representative those two hymnals are.

The shape-note community, optimized for participation rather than professional excellence, does not appear to have an authority equivalent to Elaine Gould for its proprieties. I'm asking groups available to me how they see the unison-FA issue, no responses yet.

I do know this: the code comment from note-collision.cc that Werner Lemberg posted cannot be disregarded.

  /* The solfa is a triangle, which is inverted depending on stem
     direction.  In case of a collision, one of them should be removed,
     so the resulting note does not look like a block.
  */

I have experienced that thing. Once in a group learning a new song engraved with non-Lilypond software, we encountered what appeared to be erroneous rectangle LA shapes resulting from 2 wrongly-merged black-note unison FA triangles. It was a mystery to all except the few with music-engraving experience.

If a group of people with minimal music education wants to have full SATB or TTBB harmony by the second verse of a never-before-seen hymn, then this matters. For people with more music education and good line/staff unshaped-notes sight-reading skills, it matters much less.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA