Re: Pointing Aiken Fa up in partCombine

From: Benjamin Bruce
Subject: Re: Pointing Aiken Fa up in partCombine
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 15:35:35 -0500

“Hallelujah, Praise Jehovah” (1899) has doubled Fa's in the treble and bass clefs at the beginning of bar 9.  Here’s a scan from a hymnal printed in 1911.  The Fa is reversed in the treble clef.

Thank you, David, for finding "Hallelujah, Praise Jehovah." I looked that hymn up in the seven shape-note hymnals that I have on hand, and 5 of them (dated 1948, 1966, 1970, 1977, and 1983) look just as the link you provided, with the treble Fa in the up position, and the bass Fa in the down position. The other two (1991 and 1994) have both Fas in the down position, reflecting current Lilypond output. It is worth noting that these last two hymnals were published by the same publisher.

So it appears that there are two alternatives generally in use:

1. Doubled Fas are always oriented down, regardless of what staff they are in (current Lilypond output)
2. Doubled Fas in the treble staff are oriented up, and doubled Fas in the bass staff are oriented down.

Can those in Lilypond development please advise what the next step is to add a feature request to enable the second alternative? Thanks!