Re: Pointing Aiken Fa up in partCombine

From: Benjamin Bruce
Subject: Re: Pointing Aiken Fa up in partCombine
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 12:23:38 -0500

Of the three hymnals that I have that use shaped notes, two do *not* reverse the Fa notehead in the treble clef—so Lilypond’s current output matches what those two hymnals do.

Since I primarily reference one of these hymnals for the engraving I do with Lilypond, I had never seen the behavior that you are describing until you pointed it out.

Now I’m wondering how representative those two hymnals are.

Attached are a couple more examples from hymnals that I own. Psalms, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs is from 2012, and Praise Hymnal is from 2008. There may be examples in my older hymnals too, but I wasn't able to find any (this seems to be something that shows up more in modern music). Whatever the consensus on usage may be, I would like to be able to orient doubled Fas either way, according to the usage shown in these examples.

Benjamin Bruce