Re: Configuration problems following new installation of Frescobaldi

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Configuration problems following new installation of Frescobaldi
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 09:27:03 +0200

Le 30/08/2022 à 08:56, Michael Hendry a écrit :
I stopped using Frescobaldi and Lilypond at the beginning of the Covid pandemic and since then I have bought a new iMac with Monterey and transferred files across,

Trying to get back up and running, I’ve installed Frescobaldi 3.1.3, which appears to be functioning perfectly, but I get these error reports:

 Starting lilypond 2.23.3 [dorothy.ly]...
Fontconfig error: "/Users/michaelhendry/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 2: XML or text declaration not at start of entity
Fontconfig error: "/Users/michaelhendry/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 2: XML or text declaration not at start of entity
Fontconfig error: "/Users/michaelhendry/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 2: XML or text declaration not at start of entity

I am also getting similar warnings on Fedora with LilyPond 2.22.2 (“unknown
element reset-dirs”). They seem to be harmless. Apparently, the system's font
configuration file for Fontconfig uses features that were not supported in
the older version of Fontconfig that ships with LilyPond. For me, these
warnings don't appear in 2.23.12, which is also the latest (unstable) version.
Could you try upgrading to 2.23.12?

Processing `/Users/michaelhendry/git_stuff/lilyjazz/examples/dorothy.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...[8][16]
fatal error: cannot find font: `lilyjazz-11'
Exited with return code 1.

when trying to compile the sample file “dorothy,ly”. Similar errors occur when I try to compile some of my existing Jazz leadsheets.

That means you didn't install the LilyJazz font. It doesn't
come with LilyPond, you had certainly installled it on your
previous computer. Download it from here:

https://github.com/OpenLilyPondFonts/lilyjazz

(use Code > Download ZIP).

How to install the files is described in the file
LilyPond-Fonts-Installation-And-Usage.txt that you will find in
your download.

There is no /Users/michaelhendry/.config directory on my computer,

It does exist, but since the name starts with a dot, it is a "hidden
directory". Those are reserved for things non-technically-savvy users
don't need/want to know about, and aren't displayed in the Finder by
default (but you can show them:
https://nordlocker.com/blog/how-to-show-hidden-files-mac/).

Best,
Jean