Re: Configuration problems following new installation of Frescobaldi

From: Michael Hendry
Subject: Re: Configuration problems following new installation of Frescobaldi
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 11:10:47 +0100

On 30 Aug 2022, at 08:27, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:

> Le 30/08/2022 à 08:56, Michael Hendry a écrit :
>>
>> I stopped using Frescobaldi and Lilypond at the beginning of the Covid
>> pandemic and since then I have bought a new iMac with Monterey and
>> transferred files across,
>>
>> Trying to get back up and running, I’ve installed Frescobaldi 3.1.3, which
>> appears to be functioning perfectly, but I get these error reports:
>>
>>  Starting lilypond 2.23.3 [dorothy.ly]...
>> Fontconfig error: "/Users/michaelhendry/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line
>> 2: XML or text declaration not at start of entity
>> Fontconfig error: "/Users/michaelhendry/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line
>> 2: XML or text declaration not at start of entity
>> Fontconfig error: "/Users/michaelhendry/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line
>> 2: XML or text declaration not at start of entity

Thanks, Jean.

I know about dot-files, but overlooked the fact that in the Mac Finder
directories are displayed before filenames, and I was looking among the
dot-files!

fonts.conf reads:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
 <dir prefix="/System/Library/Fonts"/>
</fontconfig>

> I am also getting similar warnings on Fedora with LilyPond 2.22.2 (“unknown
> element reset-dirs”). They seem to be harmless. Apparently, the system's font
> configuration file for Fontconfig uses features that were not supported in
> the older version of Fontconfig that ships with LilyPond. For me, these
> warnings don't appear in 2.23.12, which is also the latest (unstable) version.
> Could you try upgrading to 2.23.12?
>

>> Processing `/Users/michaelhendry/git_stuff/lilyjazz/examples/dorothy.ly'
>> Parsing...
>> Interpreting music...[8][16]
>> fatal error: cannot find font: `lilyjazz-11'
>> Exited with return code 1.
>>
>> when trying to compile the sample file “dorothy,ly”. Similar errors occur
>> when I try to compile some of my existing Jazz leadsheets.
>>

> That means you didn't install the LilyJazz font. It doesn't
> come with LilyPond, you had certainly installled it on your
> previous computer. Download it from here:
>
> https://github.com/OpenLilyPondFonts/lilyjazz
>
> (use Code > Download ZIP).
>
> How to install the files is described in the file
> LilyPond-Fonts-Installation-And-Usage.txt that you will find in
> your download.

I found I don’t have /Applications/Lilypond.app directory. My copy of the
lilypond executable was compiled by MacPorts.

Googling for a way to create an App, I found:

https://macappstore.org/lilypond/

And having gone through the whole process I’ve ended up with a 32-bit
executable, which won’t work in the 64-bit-only Monterey environment.

I haven’t found a way to force Homebrew to compile a 64-bit executable so far.
Is there a ready-built .DMG image file for version 2.23.12 that I can download?

>>  There is no /Users/michaelhendry/.config directory on my computer,

Of course there is! See my first paragraph above.

Michael