Re: Recitative in Chant music

From: Vladimír Slávik
Subject: Re: Recitative in Chant music
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 12:06:34 +0200

Hi Michael,
Admittedly I'm not that good with lilypond and then I'm familiar mostly with Roman catholic music as written here (cz), but perhaps that can help you a bit with the direction.

What I have seen done in psalms and thus do in these situations is make the recitative note a breve. So I make the whole thing a cadenza, then use explicit lengths for all the lyrics, and have a breve there. See below for an example.

The one thing that is not really a given, just a convention in the literature I have seen, is that it's a breve. You could just use another quarter for the "long part" and the lyrics and it's all the same to Lilypond.

Arguably typing in all the lengths for all the lyrics is a lot of work, but personally I've found that preferable to littering the lyrics with directives to alter lengths. I have also never (never, ever) succeeded in making the lilypond "guessing" right for the lyrics lengths.

If you make the whole work a cadenza, you have to also mark the bar ends manually.

To make the chord show "only at the beginning", you need to align the lyrics left. You can do it once for each breve, but following my approach of "not littering the data with programming", I just align everything.

Others will perhaps help correct if there's anything wrong with this approach? For me, it worked well this far :-)

Best,
Vladimir

\version "2.18.2"

\layout {
    \context {
        \Lyrics
        \consists "Bar_engraver"
        \consists "Separating_line_group_engraver"
        \hide BarLine
        \override LyricText.self-alignment-X = #LEFT

noTime = \override Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = ##f

right_hand = \relative c' {
    \key c \major
    \clef treble
    \language "deutsch"
    \noTime
    \autoBeamOff
    \accidentalStyle forget
    \cadenzaOn

   c4 d4 e\breve e4 f2 f4~ e2 \bar "|"

   %(...more music)

    \cadenzaOff
}

words = \lyricmode {
    \set stanza = "1. "
    Some4 words4 "that have something real"\breve -- ly4 long2 he4 -- re.2

    %(... more lyrics)
}

staff = \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff \right_hand
    \new Lyrics \words
    %(...)

\score {
    \staff
}

Note that this is a simplified example, so might not compile as-is.