Re: Adding durations (for \after)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Adding durations (for \after)
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 03:37:57 +0100

"Joel C. Salomon" <joelcsalomon@gmail.com> writes:

> On 11/10/22 18:48, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
>> Le 11/11/2022 à 00:40, Jean Abou Samra a écrit :
>>> But I don't know what syntax to pick for that, or if it's essential
>>> to have one or if "+" alone is already useful enough on its own.
>>> 1`16 is the best I could find, but it's not wonderfully mnemonic.
>>> I think the reason why I can feel like it's a difference is the
>>> set difference operator \ which is a bar in the same direction
>>> as ` if you squint at it, but I doubt others will have that feeling ...
>> Well, another one is "1!16".
>> I'm having a hard time to explain why, but I feel it's much
>> better than "1`16" already, although not as elegant as
>> "1-16".
>
> Bikeshedding here….  What about ` 1+-16 `?  Defines the `+` operator
> as additive scaling, the same as `*` is multiplicative scaling, and
> allows negative numbers.

Thanks, I already was in a state of panic.

I think we should avoid piling on arbitrary stuff without clear need for
expressing music into the LilyPond grammar.  There may be a point in
making it easier to do that kind of stuff in Scheme, like with
overloading operators for moment arithmetic.

--
David Kastrup