Re: Future of OpenLilyLib

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Future of OpenLilyLib
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 18:54:50 +0100

Maybe what I'm going to say will sadden some, but personally,
I never quite understood what the advantage of developing
openLilyLib as a library external to LilyPond, as opposed to
contributing features to LilyPond itself, was supposed to be.

I was going to add my lyrics code to LSR, actually. It's just
more convenient for users to grab, and it's not like this is
a very large piece of code that really needs version control
(although version control in LSR *would* be nice).

To be honest, although I wasn't there at the time, it is my
impression that this split was partly motivated by some personal
conflicts that reduced Urs' willingness to submit patches to
LilyPond, which is not relevant for us today.

Some of the OLL stuff has been made part of LilyPond over the
years, for example Merge_mmrest_numbers_engraver and \vshape.
There is also \staffHighlight, which serves a purpose that
overlaps a bit with the purpose of AnaLYsis. Long-term, I would
like to see edition-engraver go that routeĀ  as well (with a
better, iterator-based implementation).

So it's a shrug from me: I thank you for your effort in making
the code 2.23.81-compatible, and I'm fine with any reorganizations
you want to make, but I will always feel that this code is not
really at home.

Best,
Jean