Re: Resize \rhythm in mixed markup

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Resize \rhythm in mixed markup
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2023 20:56:47 +0100

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

> Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> writes:
>
>> Apparently, top-level markups are interpreted with \paper, although
>> grob-interpret-markup interprets with a real \layout?
>>

>> \version "2.24.0"
>>
>> #(define-markup-command (whats-layout layout props) ()
>>    (interpret-markup layout props (symbol->string
>> (ly:output-def-lookup layout 'output-def-kind))))
>>
>> \markup \whats-layout
>>
>> {
>>   c'^\markup \whats-layout
>> }
>>

>> Le 08/01/2023 à 17:06, David Kastrup a écrit :
>>> Frankly, I don't get the "layout" parameter in markup.
>>

>> Me neither. The whole output def setup is quite messy.
>
> A Paper_book does not preserve \layout so at the point where text
> markups are interpreted, the \layout is not available.  This seems more
> like a fudge than anything else.
>
> I have no idea what the original idea here was, but given that the
> parameter name "layout" to markup commands is rather unambiguous and
> that it seems very desirable to be able to write
>
> (define-markup-command ... (layout props) ...
>   #{ \markup \score { \layout { $layout ...
>
> I lean towards maintaining "layout" and not passing paper blocks into
> interpret-markup at all.
>
> We may break some things while figuring this out.  But the current way
> appears too weird to make for a useful interface.

Frankly, the level of bull**** here is unbelievable.

git grep book_rendering
lily/book.cc:      SCM outputs = score->book_rendering
(output_paper_book->paper (), layout);
lily/include/score.hh:  SCM book_rendering (Output_def *, Output_def *);
lily/score.cc:Score::book_rendering (Output_def *layoutbook, Output_def
*default_def)

So what is it already?!?!?  Paper or layout?

I guess this nonsense is also behind some book layout variables not
making it into scores.

--
David Kastrup