Re: Unicode accidentals vs. Markup accidentals

From: William Rehwinkel
Subject: Re: Unicode accidentals vs. Markup accidentals
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 12:07:01 +0000

Dear Saul,

I don't see why this would be surprising... as you said it's the difference of using the unicode symbol from the text font (such as unicode symbol https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+266D for a flat) for an accidental and pasting in the lilypond musical font symbol for that accidental. You can prove this by loading a different font either for the serif font or musical glyph font. (Sorry for probably using wrong terminology here)

In my opinion using the lilypond font accidental in a markup block is probably intended for other use cases, such as putting an editorial accidental above or below a note instead of in its usual place.

As for how it looks, I suppose that is a matter of taste. But I would probably use the unicode accidental symbols if the need for writing an accidental in a piece of text came up in the future. You could definitely make the text using lilypond accidentals look right by changing the font size of either the text or the accidental, it's just a matter of the size and alignment.

-William