lmi

Re: [lmi] winediag:getaddrinfo Failed to resolve your host name IP

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] winediag:getaddrinfo Failed to resolve your host name IP
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 22:43:29 +0200

On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 16:59:42 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> Since upgrading from DSL to fiber the other day, I get this
GC> when running any command that involves 'wine':
GC>   002c:err:winediag:getaddrinfo Failed to resolve your host name IP

[I've started explaining how could this arise, but then I realized that
 you've already solved this problem, so I'll skip my discussion of
 /etc/nsswitch.conf]

GC> There are two problems here.
GC>
GC> (1) The 'wine' error is due to a change in the last octet of the
GC> new router address.

 I don't understand how could this be relevant...

GC> The same problem occurs in a freshly-entered instance of the same
GC> chroot. And it's not actually specific to 'wine': 'curl' is also
GC> affected, inside the chroot:
GC>
GC>   $ curl https://git.savannah.nongnu.org:443
GC>   curl: (6) Could not resolve host: git.savannah.nongnu.org

 This isn't the same problem: the latter is "just" DNS not working, which
could be either due to /etc/resolv.conf being wrong (most likely) or a
communication problem with the DNS server, while getaddrinfo() should be
using /etc/hosts if "files" is present in nsswitch.conf and so should work
even without DNS.

GC> Editing the chroot's '/etc/hosts', I add a line taken from the
GC> host system's '/etc/hosts':
GC>
GC>  127.0.0.1       localhost
GC> +127.0.1.1       $(hostname).$(dnsdomainname)        $(hostname)

 This should indeed be enough for getaddrinfo() to work.

GC> and now 'wine' commands work as expected,

 Ah, I should have read read the entire message before starting to reply.
So yes, this is indeed enough for getent, and hence getaddrinfo(), to work.

GC> So, even though the 'wine' problem seems to have been fixed, in the
GC> chroot I can't even do this:
GC>
GC>   $ git fetch
GC>   fatal: unable to look up git.savannah.nongnu.org (port 9418) (Temporary
failure in name resolution)

 But not for DNS. Please check your /etc/resolv.conf contents too, it's
highly likely that you have a hardcoded IP which doesn't work any longer
there. You can put 8.8.8.8 (Google) or 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) there at least
temporarily for testing -- or maybe even permanently if you don't dislike
using these DNS servers more than using your ISP's one.

GC> I guess my next step will be to create a new chroot.

 I hate DNS too, but this would really be an overkill...

 Good luck,
VZ