lmi

Re: [lmi] winediag:getaddrinfo Failed to resolve your host name IP

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] winediag:getaddrinfo Failed to resolve your host name IP
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 23:24:38 +0000

On 8/14/22 20:43, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2022 16:59:42 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> GC> Since upgrading from DSL to fiber the other day
[...]
> GC> There are two problems here.
> GC>
> GC> (1) The 'wine' error is due to a change in the last octet of the
> GC> new router address.
>
>  I don't understand how could this be relevant...

It's the only thing I knew of that had changed.

> GC>   $ git fetch
> GC>   fatal: unable to look up git.savannah.nongnu.org (port 9418) (Temporary
> failure in name resolution)

[...changing /etc/hosts worked for getent()...]

>  But not for DNS. Please check your /etc/resolv.conf contents too, it's
> highly likely that you have a hardcoded IP which doesn't work any longer
> there.

Thanks, that was exactly the problem, and now in retrospect it's
clear why these commands didn't find it:

  /etc[0]#git log --patch -- /etc/hosts
  /etc[0]#git log --patch -G"$(dnsdomainname)"

whereas this one would have:

  /etc[0]#git log --patch -G"192\.168"

I changed the third octet in the chroot's '/etc/resolve.conf' to
match the host system's, and everything seems perfect now.

> You can put 8.8.8.8 (Google) or 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) there at least
> temporarily for testing -- or maybe even permanently if you don't dislike
> using these DNS servers more than using your ISP's one.

Firefox is supposed to use DNS over HTTPS automatically in the US,
with cloudflare as default. But I tried enabling DNS over HTTPS
just now, and firefox offered no choice except "custom". Perhaps
debian 'stable' (firefox-91.12.0esr) just hasn't caught up yet.

> GC> I guess my next step will be to create a new chroot.
>
>  I hate DNS too, but this would really be an overkill...

It takes little time, and diffing '/etc' would have found the answer.
But I found that 'bookworm' now has gcc-12 for x86_64-pc-linux-gnu:

/opt/lmi/src/lmi/compiler_gcc_version.make:67: Untested cpp version '12'
/opt/lmi/src/lmi/compiler_gcc_version.make:75: Untested g++ version '12'

so now I have lots of fresh puzzles to keep me occupied.