lout-users

Re: Preaching DSSSL (Re: using LOUT)

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Preaching DSSSL (Re: using LOUT)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 23:47:00 +0400

On Wed, Aug 27, 1997 at 11:05:15PM -0700, Sean Russell wrote:

> On 27 Aug, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> > What I would very much like to see is Lout backend implemented.  I
>
> On 27 Aug, Chris Herborth wrote:
> > I would LOVE to see a Lout back-end for Jade.  We do all of our
>
> I'm sure, being SGML and DSSSL advocates, that both of you are aware of
> the sdc (prev: typeset) package by JЖrg Wittenberger.  While it suffers
> from some handicaps (no, it isn't jade;  no, it isn't a generic SGML
> parser; and yes, it does require BigLoo to compile) it /can/ produce
> Lout output.

Yes, I have it installed :-).  And there are several SGMLSpm based
solutions as well (linuxdoc, debiandoc).  But hacking both sdc and
SGMLSpm is not as simple.

When you have a couple of rich DTD's you work with, you may have
converters programmed once and for ever.  But I'd like to write small
DTDs as I need them (I have hacked easydtd to run on Unix and it's
really easy).  Most of them will be a screen long with another few
screens of *declarative* DSSSL style sheet.

SY, Uwe