lout-users

Re: Lout FAQ/HOWTO availability

From: Nimrod Zimerman
Subject: Re: Lout FAQ/HOWTO availability
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 17:39:23 +0300

On Wed, Apr 15, 1998 at 11:27:47AM +0200, Eric Marsden wrote:

> How about hosting a browseable archive of Lout style-sheets and
> example documents instead? I think that would be very useful.

I think that is a very good idea, considering I need such an archive.
Although I don't really have all that much time to spare once my vacation is
over, I think I will have enough time to do a decent job with that.

I pick up the glove. FortuneCity.com kindly gives 10mb, and that, I assume
should be quite enough for any such archive, at least now.

I call for anyone who has either useful or interesting Lout setup files,
example documents, Lout utilities and so on to e-mail them to me, for
presentation on lout.home.ml.org.
I humbly request that all files sent be accompanied by some sort of
permission to store and distribute, because otherwise I'll be in violation
of various Copyright laws around the world, which is not my favorite thing
to do.

> This follows an earlier article by Larry Ayers on word
> processing/markup in the October issue:

This article is exactly the one which led me to Lout. Cheers to the
LinuxGazette people.

> Now the interesting thing is that Larry Ayer's article bemoaned the
> lack of an Emacs mode for Lout, which prompted me to write one (to

I have to admit that I've never seen Emacs. I lack the diskspace for
something as huge as that. My editing is based on joe. If I feel especially
sad, jed is a colorful alternative. Nothing else.

> learn Emacs Lisp). The more recent article also states that there is
> no Emacs mode, which suggests that the author didn't do his homework
> properly, but also perhaps that the Lout web resources aren't
> sufficiently visible.

Let him know. He would write a third article, and all shall be happy.

> Regarding the HOWTO (which is urgently needing an update), I would
> urge people who receive by private email useful responses to questions
> asked on the louters list (or even directly to Jeff) to summarize the
> results to the list; I will then add to the HOWTO.

The message Valeriy Ushakov just sent, in reply to my original question,
appears as if it deserves to be in the FAQ.

                                                   Nimrod