lout-users

Lout on QNX - newbie

From: Chris Herborth
Subject: Lout on QNX - newbie
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 15:18:27 -0400

With much help from Uwe, I've finally managed to get Lout running on QNX
4... turns out I've got an elusive stdio bug to track down.

But, this puts me in the embarassing position of being a Lout newbie now
that I can actually use it. :-)

I'm going to be using Lout as a PostScript-generating back-end for our
SGML documents; to that end, I'm whipping off a simple proof-of-concept
QNX SGML->Lout converter today in OmniMark.  The idea is to get
something printing out using Lout's default formatting rules/styles and
to later go back and design a real live QNX stylesheet for Lout.

Unfortunately, I've almost immediately run into problems due to my lack
of experience.

At the start of my document, I've got:

@SysInclude { doc }
@Document
        @InitialBreak { ragged 1vx nohyphen }
        @InitialSpace { tex }
//
@Text @Begin
<chapter>
@LP
This is a silly test document to see how well the HTML created by QNX's
SGML tools is rendered by various HTML browsers and editors.

Tags that aren't handled by my converter are inserted into the Lout as
<tag> and <"/"tag> so I remember to implement them.  Unfortunately, when
I run this, I get:

lout file "00-test1.lout":
    1,20 fatal error: missing @Break symbol or option

Well, line 1 is the @SysInclude, how the heck could that fail on me?