lout-users

Re: Continuing Numbered Lists

From: Albert Kinderman
Subject: Re: Continuing Numbered Lists
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:11:59 +0400 (MSD)

Jeff Kingston wrote:

> Lout doesn't have a feature for interrupting lists at the moment.  I
> think it would be quite easy to add, in the form of a list item with
> a special format:  unnumbered, not contributing to the number increment,
> and not indented.  I've thought of it from time to time myself, and
> now that it's come up I will add it to my list of things to do.
>
> At present the most viable workaround is to manually count the list
> items and use the "start" option to start subsequent lists at the
> right value.  This is very much a second-best option, I acknowledge.
>
> Jeff

I write exams and often want to write

        <background>
        1. question
        2. question

        <new background>
        3. question
        4. question

I gave up and switched to

        1. <background>
          a. question
          b. question
        2. <new background>

This brings up other problems with lists.  There is no way to start 2.
on a new page that I know of (with either format).  The placement of @NP
inside @ListItem{} does not produce the desired effect. Also, although
tables can be placed within @ListItem{}, the last column of the table
extends to the edge of the table.  To get proper formatting, I always
have to insert a dummy blank column.

Al

--
Albert Kinderman                           Phone: (818) 677-4663
Department of Management Science                  (818) 677-3263