lout-users

Re: Use of Lout

From: Wolfram Kahl
Subject: Re: Use of Lout
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:19:18 +0400 (MSD)

Mark Carroll <address@hidden> writes:
 > I've been meaning to get around to learning Lout for some time, and may
 > have an incentive in the form of a forthcoming presentation. Can I ask
 > what people think of how easy it is to use it to create diagrams? e.g.
 > let's say we need a few boxes around linked by lines or arrows, with text
 > in the boxes or on the lines, is that easy to do?

It is.  I actually consider the comprehensive ``diagram programming''
capabilities of Lout one of its major strenths, and I started my
move from LaTeX to Lout with slides for presentations.

 > Or is Lout better for
 > more textual documents and expects you to include such diagrams with
 > encapsulated PostScript or whatever?

It ALLOWS you to include such diagrams as EPS.

TeX allows you to do this, too, so what sometimes happens
is that I program a picture in Lout and include it in a LaTeX document
(which is written in LaTeX usually because of constraints outside my control).

Have fun!

Wolfram

P.S.: Look at your results in ghostview before printing ---
      large part of Lout's diagram stuff goes directly in the PostScript file,
      so errors may show up only when running the PostScript.

      Only print on printers with LOTS of memory.