lout-users

Re: Use of Lout

From: Valeriy E. Ushakov
Subject: Re: Use of Lout
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:45:22 +0400

On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 11:19:09AM +0100, Mark Carroll wrote:

> let's say we need a few boxes around linked by lines or arrows, with text
> in the boxes or on the lines, is that easy to do?

Check recent list archives for a "Ultimate test" conducted by Matej
Cepl.  Comparing his solution and original TeX code is instructive.
With a couple of simple auxilary definitions you could read his code
as a verbal description how the diagram looks like.

Ahh, and BTW, Matej is not a programmer.

> Or is Lout better for more textual documents and expects you to
> include such diagrams with encapsulated PostScript or whatever?

Anecdote: A friend of mine was debugging his yet another yet another
compiler compiler by emiting Lout code for internal graphs and trees
so that he can print them out and visualise what's going on.

SY, Uwe