lout-users

material at end of book

From: Jeff Kingston
Subject: material at end of book
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:12:46 +1000

I've had a request from Mark Summerfield to add an option for
including extra material at the extreme back of a book:

> Whilst putting on a front cover for a book is no problem, how can
> you put a back cover on...

> it is not uncommon to include extra material after indexes

I'be begun working on this, and realized that it raises some design
issues that are not perhaps apparent at first.  Can I have people's
comments on these please.

Does @PageOf last.page refer to the last page including or excluding
this extra material?

Are there running headers and footers on pages holding this extra
material?  If so, what do they look like?

If this feature is to be used strictly for back covers, then the
answers to both questions would seem to be No.  But if there is
other material (collophons etc.) at the back more like part of
the content of the book, then perhaps that should go in a separate
major section (analogous to Preface or Introduction, but at the
back) with the usual big heading, running headers, entry in table
of contents, etc.

What do people think?  I'm especially interested, naturally, if
you have ever wished for such a feature yourself.

Jeff Kingston