lout-users

Re: material at end of book

From: Mark Summerfield
Subject: Re: material at end of book
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:09:18 +0100 (British Summer Time)

Jeff,

I don't know how much work these involve, but it seems to me that two
mechanisms are desirable.

1. The whole thing - a "back section" that is like a preface etc. except
that it follows the index(es), has its own optional headers and footers and
may optionally be page numbered.

2. Unnumbered post-index(es) pages.

In either case in my view last.page should be the last page of the last
index; perhaps a different variable "final.page" could be used for the very
last page if numbers run beyond the index.

Regards.

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:12:46 +1000 Jeff Kingston
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I've had a request from Mark Summerfield to add an option for
> including extra material at the extreme back of a book:
>
> > Whilst putting on a front cover for a book is no problem, how can
> > you put a back cover on...
>
> > it is not uncommon to include extra material after indexes
>
> I'be begun working on this, and realized that it raises some design
> issues that are not perhaps apparent at first.  Can I have people's
> comments on these please.
>
> Does @PageOf last.page refer to the last page including or excluding
> this extra material?
>
> Are there running headers and footers on pages holding this extra
> material?  If so, what do they look like?
>
> If this feature is to be used strictly for back covers, then the
> answers to both questions would seem to be No.  But if there is
> other material (collophons etc.) at the back more like part of
> the content of the book, then perhaps that should go in a separate
> major section (analogous to Preface or Introduction, but at the
> back) with the usual big heading, running headers, entry in table
> of contents, etc.
>
> What do people think?  I'm especially interested, naturally, if
> you have ever wished for such a feature yourself.
>
> Jeff Kingston

Mark Summerfield         CHEST Software Manager      address@hidden
http://www.chest.ac.uk   CHEST, PO Box 2674, Bath, BA2 7XY, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1225 826043  Fax: +44 (0)1225 826177  Mobile: 0403 535803