lout-users

Re: index entries

From: RESET
Subject: Re: index entries
Date: 09 Mar 2000 15:11:22 +0100

::::: In article <address@hidden>,
::::: address@hidden writes:

    Jeff:: I'm thinking of adding a dinky enhancement to Lout's
    Jeff:: index entries:  making them print

    Jeff:: procrastination (ctd.)

    Jeff:: at the top of the column if the index entry for
    Jeff:: procrastination is continued from the previous
    Jeff:: column.  My infinitely trivial question is,
    Jeff:: what does this look like in languages other
    Jeff:: than English?  Are these continuation headers
    Jeff:: often used/never used?  Do they have a format
    Jeff:: that could be described as one word in parentheses
    Jeff:: after the index entry itself?  If so, what is
    Jeff:: that word?  If not, what do they look like?

    Jeff:: Jeff Kingston

In Spanish it would be:

        dilación (cont.)

possibly using italics, though it's often--if ever--seen, at least in
modern legal codes, law and economy texts, etc.  Sometimes you find
the main entry in the header, but that's not frequent enough.  Usually
they use only the first two or three letters, like that:

                dilación

                        * ...
                        * ...

[end of column/page]

[header] DIL                                              [header]

                        * ...
                        * ...

Personally, I would like it.

__